Buckets of Love

Photo by Andrea Tummons on Unsplash
“If your brother or sister sins, 
go and point out their fault, 
just between the two of you. 
If they listen to you, 
you have won them over.



This morning, I thought to myself. "I need to write a blog post. Ok I'll get the verse of the day and write about what ever it happens to be." So I get to Bible Gateway and find Matthew 18:15 Of course it is a verse about an issue I have recently had to walk through with some friends. I have to say that as hard and painful as working through to reconciliation was it was worth it. I think we all learned from the process.


Photo by Javardh on Unsplash
When we get concerned, offended or hurt or even frightened by another brother or sister's words, actions, or behavior it is easy to think that we need to go get the opinions or council of others.  Love's answer is that we don't go to others but directly to the person. We may have totally miss read them. We may not have the whole story. We may see a problem and by going to them be able in love to pray with them and bring healing.


We did an interesting thing that illustrated how germs spread in a class I took.  Before the class leader put some glitter on her hands and then proceeded to teach the lesson. At some point during the class she touched everyone in the room. At the end of the class she had everyone who had glitter on them stand up. Of course everyone found glitter. It showed the how one person with unwashed hands could infect everyone in the room.


I believe this is true of sin as well. If love is our motivation we will want to help others to get free. We will want to help them to clean up the messy consequences of sin. The more people we involved before going to them with our concern, the harder the clean up becomes.


Im not saying that in some cases a mediator is not needed but that should not be the first step. The first step is to try to work things out between you and the other person. Philippians 4 is a good example of a situation where a mediator was needed. The argument between these two women was effecting everyone. Sometimes we need to facilitate reconciliation between others.
 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche 
to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel.... Philippians 4:2

When I was a child my mother always reminded us that if we didn't have something nice to say to say nothing at all. When we talk to one another about a brother or sister we should be sharing good things. We should spread buckets of love not spread the stains of sin.


Photo by Johnny Brown on Unsplash
Prayer: 
May these words of my mouth 
and this meditation of my heart 
be pleasing in your sight, Lord
my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14
Help me to spread buckets of your love and not the stains of sin to those I encounter during my day. Help me to always speak well of my brothers and sisters. 



Trying to find songs to end each post. Thought the message of this one goes well with this message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey begins

Loop Holes