El Shaddai

Photo by Jordan Whitt on Unsplash
Psalm 91:1 NIV. 
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High 
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, 
my God, in whom I trust."

This morning I was working though a study that I am doing with a friend. I struggle to find the time to do that study. I often find my self on the day we are planning to meet trying to catch up. I got to the end of one of those studies this morning and the last question read "Spend some time quieting and calming your soul, resting in silent communion with the One who love you and who is committed to your well being. 

My first response is but Lord... I still have 3-4 more studies to get through. But then I stop and think why am I doing this anyway. Am I trying to impress my friend with my dedication? Am I trying to impress God with my faithfulness? I walked down stairs to get a cup of coffee. On the way back up the stairs my aunt says "won't you sit here with me- I just love your company." So I stop and drink my coffee with her and we chat about nothing but just enjoyed the company of the other. 

Currently this blog has no real audience. I have only just begun to tell people about it. I'm stopping here to rest in quiet communion with the Lord. 

I remember when my children were little toddlers. They were so busy exploring and playing but when their world got to big I would draw them back to the comfort of my embrace. They had both been infants who were breast fed and it was a place of closeness, of nurture, of safety. They no longer came for food as toddlers they came now for comfort to find security to find that extra boost of love from someone who believed for the best in them. 

El Shaddai is often translated as God Almighty but it can a mean many breasted one. The root word of shad being the singular form for the word that means woman's breast. So it can mean My God of the many breasts. I find myself comforted in knowing that My many breasted God is not frustrated by my busy day and the things that I am excited to be off and doing any more than I was ever frustrated by my little children's busy activities. It is good to know that when my world gets to big or too busy my El Shaddai is there waiting to hold me and love on me. Even if it is a momentary pause before I run back to the days activities. 

I have a busy day today but I am going to try to look for those little moments to run into the loving arms of El Shaddai. 

Prayer: Father, I thank you that you are also mother. I thank you that you nurture and comfort, that you delight in the things that I am doing. Oh how you love those times that I return to your arm, to the quiet, to the intimacy. Help me to find those little moments to be in your loving arms through out this busy day. Help me to rest in you and to invite into everything I find myself doing.  Thank you for being my ever present shelter. My safe place. My happy place.

Im ending today with a beautiful video done to Michael Cards version of the song El Shaddai. I hope that you will stop and rest in it before rushing off to the things that make up your busy day. 

Blessings, Margot 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey begins

Buckets of Love

The Way To Happiness